Sweet Potato Apple Salad
I make this salad every time I have any leftover sweet potatoes, without fail! I’ve even roasted some sweet potatoes just to make this salad. It has become one of my favorites, due to its balanced nature and sweet flavor. Overall, this vegan meal is delightful, colorful, and very nutritious! Here’s what to toss together…
- Apple slices
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- Farro (cooked)
- Edamame beans
- Dried cranberries and/or dried cherries
- Olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or your favorite balsamic vinaigrette)
To make the salad, prepare the grains and sweet potatoes ahead of time and refrigerate them until you’re ready to eat. To prepare the sweet potatoes…
- Dice them small (about 1/4 – 1/2 inch cubes)
- Toss them in a drizzle of olive oil with plenty of nutmeg, chili powder, and pepper. I suggest using quite a bit of spice so the pizzazz carries throughout the entire salad!
- Spread them on a baking to roast for 15-20min at 425 degrees Fahrenheit, until tender.
- Let them cool and chill
This dish is quite versatile, so feel free to make substitutions as you wish. For example, butternut squash or yams would be delicious instead of sweet potatoes. Quinoa, rice, farro, and barley all work great for the grains, and pineapple or avacado slices also make great additions!